In swahili Maisha means “life”. Founded in 2007, the organization rescues children from the streets and slums in Nairobi, orphaned mainly by HIV/AIDS, political strife, and extreme poverty, and gives them a safe and loving home, food, and education in a semi-rural farm environment outside the city. It is now looking for a building supervisoir and advisor for its new children’s home.
A rural, farming community near Nairobi, Kenya
Summer 2014 onwards
Two months full time or 6 months part time, 5 hours per week (approx.) if you are already based in Nairobi.
Why we want you
We need a talented and committed individual to supervise the building of a purpose built home for 20 children, who have been orphaned by HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty and rescued from the streets and slums of Nairobi and the 5 adults who care for them. This will replace the current accommodation which is a small family home, metal shed and a half metal wall and bed sheets which form the dining area.
• Report to stakeholders on progress and build quality on a weekly basis.
• Ensure construction of foundations, walls etc. is to a high standard.
• Advise on improvements to the current existing house which has structural defects.
What will you get out of the experience?
• Practical, hands on experience managing the construction and quality assurance of a large domestic dwelling/social housing project.
• Meeting and working with the Maisha family on a regular basis.
The skills you need
• Experience managing or close involvement with the management of at least one previous building project.
• Good communication skills with the local architect and builder plus stakeholders at the Maisha and Gracias Foundation non-profit organisations.
• Good team working skills and calm under pressure.
• Cultural sensitivity and excellent cross-cultural communication skills.
Accommodation and food at the existing Maisha home for up to two months.
Note: accommodations are very basic.
What’s not included?
Flights, medical insurance, vaccinations, visa costs, personal items.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide a current CV or resume.
Due to the close relationships you will forge with local partners and beneficiaries, some of whom are vulnerable children, we will require 2 references from individuals who are not related to you and a police clearance record before your appointment to the role is finalized.